Saturday, January 20, 2007

Apple Hash Browns

I decided I would try and make apple hash browns for breakfast this morning. I wasn't too sure how they would turn out, but I couldn't think of any reason why they wouldn't. My logic was, you usually make hash browns from potatoes, and apples and potatoes are pretty similar when you think about it. They both have a skin, they have similar consistencies on the inside, and in french potatoes are called pommes de terre which if you translate literally means "apples of the ground". So in theory the two should be interchangeable right? Let's find out.

First I took an apple...


Chopped it up and put the pieces in a frying pan....


And then added some vegetable oil and fried the whole thing.


This is how they turned out. They looked like hash browns alright, but there was a subtle difference. When you fry potatoes, they get crispy. Apples, on the other hand, get mushy. Not sure why they behave differently. My theory is that apples turn mushy because they contain more water than potatoes, but who knows what the real reason is?
They didn't turn out quite like I thought, but they still tasted ok. It might work better using a different kind of apple. I wonder how apple fries would work?

2 comments:

Justin said...

Hmm... How about topping them with your Apple Sauce next time?

Bob said...

apple sauce on apple hash browns.. that would just be apple overload!